Sunday, December 23, 2012

Wooden Star...

Hi Everyone!  Last week I had the pleasure of guest posting for my friend Gail at My Repurosed Life.  And in case you missed it, I thought I'd share it here too.

In keeping with the holiday season, I thought I'd share with you the primitive star I've been making for the last couple of years.  It's easy to make and fun to decorate.
I make these in different sizes but today I'm going to show you the one made with the large paint sticks that are used to stir 5 gallon bucket paints.  I got these at Wal-Mart.  I start out by cutting the handle end off of all five sticks.
Then I do a little sanding, mainly on the rough cut end.  Using Gorilla Glue and clamps, I glue the sticks together.
I start with two ends, glue and clamp them together and repeat with two other sticks, making them equal distance apart.
Overlap them and glue and clamp the open end and repeat with the cross stick.
I also add a dab of glue and clamps anywhere that the sticks cross and touch each other.
I leave them clamped together for several hours giving the glue ample time to dry.
And here it is.....
I painted it an off white but it would look great stained or antiqued.
I can't find the picture of it by it's self...this picture has two of them hanging on a hook at the last craft fair I did.  I finished it off by adding a wreath of grapevine with burgundy pip berries, rusty bells and stars, and two primitive angels.  I'd take another picture of it but it sold last month.
 Here are two of the stars that are ready for decoration.
The little one is made from regular size paint sticks and works great on the top of the Christmas tree.  Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to decorate the large star....I hope you are all ready for Christmas since it's almost here...I know I am.  Now I must get to work on an order that I got yesterday.  Merry Christmas Everyone!  Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments :

  1. I need one of these on my huge tree. The little star we have looks funny now that I notice things like that!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you're going to stop working Holly and take a break - lol !
    And have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I loved this star when you shared it as a guest post and I love it even more now. What a wonderful project and use for paint stir sticks. You are one talented lady. Have a very merry Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete