Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Around the farm....

Hi Everyone!  I hope you are having a great week.  Today is my day off so I will be busy working out in the shop.  I am going to finish that bench today (I mostly finished it last night but needed to make a stop at the lumber yard) and I have to get working on that coffee table.  I thought I'd share a few things that are happening around the farm.
 The corn was planted a few weeks ago and is growing nicely.
 And we've got grass.  It's just about ready to be cut, raked, and baled into hay.  When the wind is blowing (likes it's been doing a lot lately) the grass looks like ocean waves moving across the pasture.  It really is an interesting sight.
 And in that grass is a lot of little purple flowers...it's actually called red clover.  And the cattle and horses love it.
 The grass is early this year.  It's almost a month ahead of schedule.  After it's cut and baled, we need some more rain so we can get a second cutting off of it.
 And this is the view outside my front door.  This field, directly across the road was planted last week with beans so that's why it still looks bare.  It needs a little rain too.  And do you see that sign...
 They are selling this land.  Oh how I wish I could buy it.  But I don't have that kind of money laying around.  Land around here has been going for upwards of $5,000 an acre.  If I had that kind of money, I'd be opening my own shop...not buying land.
I just hope it's new owner buys it for farm land and not too build on.  I really don't want a neighbor directly across the road.  It would destroy my view! 
I wanted to show you an antler that I found in our pasture a couple of weeks ago.  I had taken the golf cart down in the pasture and came across this.  Too bad it has a broken tip. 
And here's a peek at the back of the bench I should be finishing up today!  YEAH!  I will share it when I'm finished building it.  Now I have to get ready and get out to the shop.  Have a great day!  And as always, thanks for stopping by.

2 comments :

  1. Looks good! Your corn is just a little ahead of mine. We just cut our hay and got 19 big round bales of that same beautiful clover! Land around here is a little cheaper - 1500 to 3000/acre. Can't wait to see your bench!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures Holly, thanks for sharing them with us. What a view! Nice antler, even with a broken tip. Nature is not perfect. Pottery Barn probably wouldn't think about selling antlers with broken tips. :)
    I've been busy trying to tidy up so that I can get out to the shop too.
    good luck girl!
    gail

    ReplyDelete