Monday, January 30, 2012

Wedding dress art...

Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a great weekend.  I was busy finishing up and starting some new projects.  Continuing with the wedding theme from last week, I painted a wedding dress.  Do you remember the ironing board as art I did this summer?  If you missed it or want to see it again, you can find it here.

Someone asked me if I had ever thought of doing that on a smaller scale.  In other words, she liked it but didn't have room for a large ironing board.  So, I remade it.
The picture makes the background look too blue.  It's actually a light gray color.
I took a scrap of luan that I had.  I trimmed it down some because it had a bad spot on it.  It measures approximately 16 1/4" x 20 1/2".  I painted it a medium gray color, then put a lighter color that I mixed with white and antique white.  It still seemed too dark, so I white washed it.
I painted the dress white and outlined it in black.  Then added the Dressmaker to the top.
The pictures really don't do it justice.  It washes it out too much.  There wasn't any sun today so the natural light really wasn't doing it and I had to use the flash.
And I added the same dressmaker info to the bottom.  I found the name and address on line.  All the lettering is done in black.

And there it is.  Now all I have to decide is if I'm going to frame it, or build up the edge on the back side to look like a canvas.  I couldn't decide before I started painting, so I'll have to decide soon.  I also took the sander to it and hit all the edges and some of the background.  I just couldn't bring myself to sand the dress or the lettering.
I'm happy with the way it turned out but I'm wondering if it needs a coat of antiquing added to it.  What do you think?  Do you like it as is or would you like to see it antiqued?  Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments :

  1. I think it's super cute! But I will admit I think it would look great antiqued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-I popped over from Homemaker On A Dime! I think this is really cute-I'm totally into the antiqued look, so there's my vote :) Also,I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute! I'm loving all of the vintage-y signs as art look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it as is, but I always do that with my own projects. I like them the way they are, but then if/when I change them, I almost always love the new look. It turned out really beautiful! You did such a great job!
    good luck figuring it out! hahaha
    gail

    ReplyDelete