Friday, August 26, 2011

Antique Oak Chair....

Hi Everyone!  Happy Friday!  I hope you all have a great weekend planned.  I will be spending every free moment in the shop from now until Labor Day getting ready for the first of two craft fairs.  One is on Labor Day and then I have a weekend to remake a few small things and then the next weekend is the second one.  So lots to do. 

Do you remember the antique oak chair that my aunt Barb gave me for free?  Well, I finally did something with it.

 It needed a little structural and cosmetic work on the top rails.  So I put some Kwik wood (love that stuff) on the rails where the surface cracks were and then I used wood from the broken legs of the antique ironing board that my aunt Barb gave me that used to be my grandmothers to reinforce the top rails.
 Then I painted it with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Old White.
And waxed it with clear wax and distressed it.
 I used jute webbing with a red stripe to make the seat.  And handpainted the Welcome Friends on the top of the seat back in black paint.
 And then had a photo session with the chair.  I had to take about 20 pictures of the chair because the dogs kept trying to get into the pictures.  Not the look I was going for.
And there you have it.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.  And I loved not having to use primer so score another one for Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint!  It is worth the extra dough.  I'm working on another chair that my aunt Nancy gave me about 5 years ago that has been sitting in my storage room...waiting along with a set of four others.  Well, thanks for stopping by!

2 comments :

  1. Cute! I have wanted to do something with upholstery webbing. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute chair! Good luck this weekend. I hopped around on 4 different projects today. (while waiting for paint/stain to dry, etc)
    Hope to be back at it tomorrow.
    gail

    ReplyDelete