Monday, June 20, 2011

An island update...

Hi Everyone!  That post title makes it sound like I've been off on some island vacation, don't I wish.  I'm actually referring to my kitchen island.  Here's another sneak peek of the progress.
This base cabinet was rescued from the dump (it never actually went to the dump)  for me by one of my co-workers.  It was a custom built piece and the back of it is 1/4" plywood, which of course had holes in it for the plumbing, so I had to put on a new back piece.  I decided to take some recycled 1x4's, sand them down and cut them to look like wide bead board which I glued and nailed onto the back of the cabinet.  Once I got started with that I knew it had to wrap around the sides, so back out to the wood shop to do more sanding and cutting.  And this is how it looked a few days ago.
Here it is with the first coat of paint on it.  I used Valspar's Forest Thrush.  It's a really deep charcoal gray.  But this of course is only the first coat.  And I'm not going to leave it this way.  I have several more coats of another color planned.  But that's all I'm going to tell you now.  More to come.
And of course my dog Bo just had to get in the picture and see what it was I was doing.
I'm liking it and can't wait to get this done!  More to come, soon!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments :

Post a Comment