Friday, April 15, 2011

Dining room shelves...

Hi Everyone!  Happy Friday!  I'm working on a few projects but don't have anything completed to share with you, so I thought I'd take you on a tour of the shelves in my dining room.  My dining room is not your typical dining room.  When my grandparents first moved into this house, this room would have been the living room.  But in the 1960's, my grandfather added a living room onto the house along with a bathroom (the only bathroom had been in the basement which at one point was the cellar but that's a whole other story).  So this room became know as the front room.  It's the room that the front door opens into.  I will have to see if I can find pictures of the house when I moved it.  I turned this room into the dining room.  I added cedar shelves that go around the room up by the ceiling so I could display some of the things I found in the storage room or the crawl space in the basement.
I also added rope light that goes completely around the room at the back of the shelves to light the things on the shelves.  But it's kind of hard to see it (see the light peeking out behind the curtain to the right of the picture.  There's an old school bell, some old bottles, an antique iron, and an old wooden bowl to highlight a few items.
It's kind of hard to tell, but there is an antique stapler leaning next to the crock with the pip berry tree on it.
The container with the grapes hanging over it is an antique syrup bucket.
I have several antique scales, but this is the only one that would fit on this shelf.  The item that is cut off in the picture is an antique oil lamp without the glass chimney. 
My great-great aunt Nina's camera next to an old lunch box.  I should take those down and get some close up pictures of them.  They are both really cool.
An old enamel pot and lid, next to a wooden scoop and of course a birdhouse that my mother decorated and gave to me.
The jar on the left is filled with different sizes and colors of perm rods.  They belonged to my Aunt Nancy.  She was a hairdresser and her daughter cleaned them and put them in jars and gave one to my mom, to my brother's wife, and to me.  So every time I see them, I think of her.  The horse belonged to my great uncle Cecil.  He use to work at the local lumber yard and gave me a lot of wood and hardware that he had stored in his garage.  I of course made the dream sign on a scrap of wood. 
And of course a sign fits nicely on the shelf.  I don't have a picture of the room as it is now because I'm moving furniture around on the floor.  I'll take one and show you the before and after pictures once I'm done with it.  Well, thanks for stopping by.

1 comment :

  1. Love your "Antiques & Collectibles" sign! Your shelf has some wonderful treasures. Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home!

    ReplyDelete